My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

07 September 2005

Job and the storm (Job like "robe" not "rob")

If you aren't, you might think about getting in the habit of reading Al Mohler's website on a regular basis. He's the president of the Southern Baptist seminary in Louisville, and is one of the men God is using to lead that denomination back to its Biblical foundation.

Anyhoo, today and tomorrow, he's posting what he taught His class at Highview Baptist Church last Sunday about the hurricane. This article highlights the message of Elihu, the only friend of Job who doesn't get rebuked by God, and then hits on God's "where were you" speech to Job. One of the themes in these passages is God's complete control over storms. So, if this is something on your mind, take and read.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jared for linking to that blog posting. It means so much more after actually being down to Dallas and having a friend who God laid the burden on to help at the Salvation Army.

I saw both things of great encouragement, but also Christians who were blaming the city for its rampant sins. Unfortunately, I didn't wind up giving a devotion, but my friend had some words of great encouragement and perspective for God’s Word the previous night.

I didn't go down to help, but in God's sovereignty I was available to help.

Anonymous said...

The articles you referenced by Albert Mohler were terrific. Really, part one was especially moving and concise. It answered the question "How can a good God 'let' such a natural disaster happen?" I read both of the articles twice and intend on referring others to them. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Jared:

You might be interested to know that I mentioned these articles to Scott Dean last week, and, when I went to church on Sunday, the articles were copied and placed on every seat for people to take home and read. So, obviously he thought they were very good, also.