My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

26 September 2005

athanasius for Monday morning

Here are some cool quotes from Athanasius' On the Incarnation to start off your week.

Christ alone, using common speech and through the agency of men not clever with their tongues, has convinced whole assemblies of people all the world over to despise death, and to take heed to the things that do not die, to look past the things of time and gaze on things eternal, to think nothing of earthly glory and to aspire only to immortality.

He manifested Himself by means of a body in order that we might perceive the Mind of the unseen Father. He endured shame from men that we might inherit immortality.

From the Scriptures you will learn also of His second manifestation to us, glorious and divine indeed, when He shall not come in lowliness but in His proper glory, no longer in humiliation but in majesty, no longer to suffer but to bestow on us all the fruit of His cross - the resurrection and incorruptibility.

The incarnation of Christ makes a difference for Mondays!

1 comment:

Micah said...

Hot Dog! Those are good quotes!