My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

29 June 2006

Synod, part 4

We're now in the middle of some of our discussions on worship. We have a Psalter Revision Committee working to publish a new psalter, hopefully by 2008-ish. In my humble opinion, they're doing really good work. You can imagine how many opinions are being expressed. They're doing a good job taking the rough, stilted, King James-ish language out and putting more accurate, singable translations in. I also really like some of the new tunes. But when it comes, it'll be a big adjustment, regardless of how sympathetic a congregation might be to the new psalter.

We also have a committee to revise the directory for public worship. There's nothing to vote on this year, but I imagine their update report will generate some debate as well. Their initial work relies on the idea that worship is covenant renewal; this is based on synod's adopted position paper on worship, which you can find here.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

There were some new tunes introduced in a little booklet at Calvin, I think, and I found many of them to be quite nice to sing.

I'm torn on updating the language...there are many times I quote the Psalms to myself or as I journal, and I like the phrasing and vocabulary. But I guess in being quite used to Puritan writings, that is to be expected.

It was a great blessing to talk with you the other evening.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Synod will repent of passing that worship paper, especially given how it is now being used to "teach as doctrines the precepts of men."