My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

27 June 2006

Synod, part 2

A couple other important reports:
  • Home Mission Board: this was an encouraging update on where our denomination is focusing in church planting. This board is leading us in a 20/20 vision (20 new churches by 2020) and it looks like many churches and presbyteries are taking up the charge admirably. You can check out the HMB's website here.
  • Foreign Mission Board: It's been a big year for the FMB; our mission to Sudan is really taking off well, by God's grace. This is Dave Long's (the most senior pastor) last year as head of the FMB. He's served very well in this big job for a while; synod gave him a well-deserved standing ovation.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question: Are decisions made by the judicial committee (ie our papers) during this synod?

Anonymous said...

Do you know who will be replacing Dave on the FMB?

Jared said...

Marlene - decisions aren't really made by the judicial committee; they're really supposed to bring recommendations based on their study of the church's law and order. But the judicial committee is working on the papers from our church and will bring a recommendation for them later this week.

-The FMB requested that Dave Hanson (pastor of Grace RPC in State College, PA) to replace Dave Long, but not necessarily, I suppose, as president. This isn't set in stone as the nominating committee goes over the nominations before we vote on them.

Anonymous said...

Jared,

I think it would be more accurate to say that David Hanson was elected to fill the now vacant seat of Dave Long on the FMB, but definitely not as President of the FMB! I don't know who the president will be, but I can tell you who it won't be!