My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

19 June 2005

Sunday Hello's

The first chapter in Dorothy Sayer's The Mind of the Maker makes a helpful distinction between two ways we use the word "law" and how those two ways are twisted to subvert the claims of Christianity:

A regulation that allowed a cook to make omelettes only on condition of first putting on a top hat might conceivably be given the force of law, and penalties might be inflicted for disobedience; but the condition would remain arbitrary and irrational. The law that omelettes can be made only on condition that there shall be a preliminary breaking of eggs is one with which we are sadly familiar. The efforts of idealists to make omelettes without observing that condition are foredoomed to failure by the nature of things. The Christian creeds are too frequently assumed to be in the top-hat category; this is an error; they belong to the category of egg-breaking.

That is, Christianity must be accepted or denied based on what it claims to be: total truth about the world and humanity's state before God. Christianity never claimed to put forth "laws" like we have "laws" about baseball; instead, we claim to have "laws" built into the fabric of nature by the Creator. So don't let anyone shove off Christianity's claims simply by relegating it to the "top-hat" category of laws.

____

Being a father is great. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. (Pro. 23:24) If I didn't believe in God's sovereignty, I'd wonder about Him giving children to kids like me. But He's in control and His grace is sufficient, so we're going to go with it.


3 comments:

Robbie Schmidtberger said...

jared...
i love the fathers day crack.. .

Anonymous said...

Jared:

FYI - Dorothy L. Sayers was pretty adamant about using her middle initial and not just saying Dorothy Sayers. Did you know she was an excellent mystery writer as well as a Christian author and translator? Her mystery detective hero, Lord Peter Wimsey, is my favorite.

Ellen Olivetti

Jared said...

hi mom. I'll be sure to include the "L" from now on. :)

Yes, I'm aware she's the Lord Peter Wimsey author...maybe I'll have to borrow one sometime.