My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

01 June 2005

Gospel as Blasphemy

It struck me today, while I was studying Proverbs 9, that everyone is a blasphemer - and not just in the "everyone sins" mode of blasphemy. Just as everyone is religious, everyone worships some god (whether the Trinity, Baal, Buddha, or Self), so everyone automatically has to blaspheme the other gods you don't believe in. To this some might counter that the tolerance-dogmatists don't speak against any god, but this is simply untrue. Those who believe there is no right, no truth, automatically blaspheme the God who claims that He is truth.

So we are all born worshippers, we are incurably religious. We are also born blasphemers. Which deity will you worship, which will you blaspheme? The true and Living God calls, inviting you to worship Father, Son & Holy Spirit and to blaspheme the idols you once served. No man or woman will believe that Christ is Lord who refusese to blaspheme the idol of their heart. Which brings another interesting thought: repentance as blasphemy against the idol of our desires. Let's get blaspheming!

No comments: