My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

12 June 2005

Sunday Hello's

I'm glad to be back into the swing of Proverbs. Tonight we're hearing Proverbs 10:1-16. Here's a couple spoilers:

1. I've decided to preach straight through Proverbs, rather than topically. It seems that God isn't capricious and He put Proverbs together in the form He wanted us to use. So, believing God's purposes, I believe we'll get to see a lot of exciting connections one might not pick up on if he/she were just studying every Proverb that speaks directly of money or speech.

2. The twin themes of 10:1-16 are our work and our words. What do these two have to do with each other? These are two (if not the two) most significant ways we have to impact this world. It is these two things, our work and our words, which will determine our legacy, the glory we are able to spread here for Christ.

-----
Today is the last day a family from the Netherlands will be worshipping with us before they return home; the father's been doing research at the local university, and we have been very blessed to get to know them. They come from a reformed, Psalm-singing Dutch church and took to us as well as we took to them. It's just been one of those little things God uses to remind me of how big His church is, of how many millions are worshipping Him today, all across the earth. It's good to be in this worldwide family. Plus, their kids loved our kids and, I think, vice versa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jared:

Glad to see you decided to preach through Proverbs. I have never heard it done that way - always done topically, in my experience. So, I am looking forward to your sermons.
Mom