- My younger brother got married on a beach in Cabo, Mexico. A fine reason to celebrate and a fine reason to go to the beach.
- My friend Zach is getting married. Congratulations!
- My friend Josh is featured in this article. He's a policeman in downtown Indianapolis; I got to ride with him for a shift. According to the article, they're doing some good work, trying to stem the tide of homicides in Indy. Doesn't he look handsome in his uniform?
- Church planting what-nots:
- We're still hunting for a good place to worship.
- We're putting on a picnic tomorrow night for several hundred international graduate students. Hopefully, some will come to church on Sunday.
- We've got some talented folks getting together our website, stationary, etc.
- My study leave went well. It was so enjoyable and I got so much done that I'm wondering why more pastors don't have a study leave every year.
- Family conference was great this summer. I got to teach the junior high class again; what a great age! They're a lot of fun, they listen well, and they're still small enough to be afraid of me.
- Our 2 1/2 year old: his vocabulary and syntax have really taken off lately. It's quite fun to have more "real" conversations with him these days. I was reading a book the other day and he asked, "What book is that?" After I told him the title and what it was about, he said, "Looks like a pretty cool book." (You have to imagine that whole sentence coming from a 2 year old to make it funny.)
- I'm finally getting back to preaching in Proverbs this week, after a 5-week interruption. Right now I'm just hoping I can finish before we're sent out with the church plant. I suppose it depends on how many sermons I preach about the "Proverbial" woman of chapter 31.
- No real book reviews to share; most of my reading this summer has been snippets of this and that book. Studying worship, I've really benefited from Liturgies of the Western Church, by Bard Thompson. Someday soon I'll read a whole book again.
- Last night was the first night of our neighborhood Bible Investigation. Alas, no one came. Several neighbors told us they might make it next week, so we'll try again next Tuesday.
- Monday was our 7th anniversary. The year of perfection! What a blessing my wife is.
My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"
09 August 2006
It feels like too much has happened to catch up well - but let's try anyway, bullet-style.