Here is the final installment of my workshop from a few weeks ago. It's not meant to be complete, but to be a work in progress, some thoughts for how we can advance in this arena. What would you add? Take away?
For Christians in Art:
- Be a Christian, then be an artist. Being a “Christian artist” will take care of itself
- Commit not just to the message, but to the medium, to the quality of your art
- Art is a valid calling in the kingdom
- Art is not a higher calling (we have Romanticism to thank for transforming art into Art and the artist into the Artist)
- Both Bezalels (God-ordained artists) and Gideons (God-ordained idol smashers) are needed. Be both.
For Christians Consuming Art:
- Be a Christian, then be a consumer. Being a “Christian consumer” will take care of itself
- Consciously reject silly assumptions the church makes about art
- Pursue both good art & good books about art
- There’s far too much good art for us all to pursue everything. Pick one or two or three “arts” and study, read, learn. Therein find joy and true entertainment.
- Work to understand artists better. How can the church better minister to and with artists?