My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

15 February 2006

Sermon follow up

One of the points I made Sunday night, from Proverbs 22:12-21, was that a life dedicated to obeying Christ is, in fact, the most exciting, lifelike-life we could live. Obedience is freedom, contrary to popular understanding, which believes the opposite. The picture is that of a Indy racecar, parked by the pit crew. Clearly, this isn't what this car is made for; it isn't made to take kids to soccer practice at 40 mph; it isn't even made to to 100 mph behind a pacecar. It's only when the green flag is waved and the cars scream away at 230 mph that the racecar is doing what it was made to do. So with those made in God's image, it is only when we are living for Christ, submitting to God's will in all things, that we are doing what we were made to do.

To follow-up that point, here's a passage I read this morning in Bruce Ware's Father, Son, & Holy Spirit (which I hope to review soon):

It appears, then, that we need to learn something about the nature of true freedom. Freedom is not what our culture tells us it is. Freedom is not my deciding, from the urges and longings of my sinful nature, to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, how I want to do it, with whom I want to do it. According to the Bible, that is bondage, not freedom. Rather, true freedom is living as Jesus lived, for he is the freest human being who has ever lived, and one day we will be set free fully when we always and only do the will of God. So what is freedom? Amazingly, Jesus' answer is this: Freedom is submitting - submitting fully to the will of God, to the words of God, and to the work that God calls us to do.


Amen! What a wonderful Savior, who would set us free as He is free!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

What a paradox it seems to be, one that the world will never comprehend.

"See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him." 1 John 3:1

"Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you." 1 John 3:13

Charity said...

That is a good quote. It is amazing that Christ has set us free by His grace.

By the way,are you guys enjoying your new van? I miss it... our "minivans" are the size of their regular vans here. Oh and thanks for giving Kathryn the stuff in the back of the van! :-)