My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

22 May 2005

Hello's from the Lord's Day

New Books!

1. Overcoming the World, Joel Beeke - this one was sent to me free by PRTS, looks promising.
2. Real Sex: the naked truth about chastity, Lauren Winner - I've seen a fair amount of buzz about this book (Books & Culture, World Magazine). Certainly will keep a reader's attention.
3. Homiletic Moves & Structures, David Buttrick - most of you won't envy me of this beastly tome. But I haven't really worked on improving my preaching lately...so hopefully this will help. My wife's excited about me getting some "moves."
4. Proverbs, Eric Lane - To help with the ongoing Proverbs sermon series. Lane goes through Proverbs sequentially, finding some ties in seemingly random places. I'm hoping this will help me preach systematically through Proverbs rather than thematically.

----------------
Pastor Long did a great job this morning speaking on 1 Corinthians 12 and the parts of the body. There's so many things to love about our church: how the people serve selflessly, how the children love being in church, how the elders have the hearts of shepherds, how so many needs are met without ever seeing it...I hope we'll do better at believing all 1 Cor. 12 has to say to us as a church. I'm excited to see what God has for us in the future, not because we're perfect, but because we're Christ's.

----------------
Tonight I'm expounding John 13:31-35, on loving one another. Some random thoughts, questions:

1. Jesus says this is a "new" command - how is love a new command?
2. Leviticus 19 sets forth, in the form of God's law, the practical aspects of love. Going back and read through Lev. 19:9-18 and see this reason continually given for Christian love: I am God, or I am the Lord your God. This is the one fact, God's existence and Lordship, that drives all our love; if it's not, our love will ultimately crumble because the foundation will be less than eternal.
3. The context of John 13 is Jesus' betrayals (first Judas, then Peter) - how does this impact our interpreting this new command to love? (Come to church tonight for the answer!)

----------------
Short book review
Norm Abrams' New House - picked this up from the library on a whim. A great, fun, quick book about Norm Abrams building himself a brand-spanking new house (instead of fixing up This Old House for himself). Lots of fun stories and a very appreciable craftsman's point-of-view at the homes we live in. Also, it convinced me never to try this. Never. Lots of work, far too much I don't know. So, if I ever decide to be my own general contractor for a house, punch me in the back of the head.

No comments: