My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

21 September 2007

My friend Jason passed along a great link and quote which I think are appropriate for the visitors of this blog and probably every other Christian blog as well. Francis Schaeffer, writing on love as the true mark of a Christian, has this to say about our disagreements:

A fourth way we can show and exhibit love without sharing in our brother's mistake is to approach the problem with a desire to solve it, rather than with a desire to win. We all love to win. In fact, there is nobody who loves to win more than the theologian. The history of theology is all too often a long exhibition of a desire to win.

But we should understand that what we are working for in the midst of our difference is a solution — a solution that will give God the glory, that will be true to the Bible, but will exhibit the love of God simultaneously with his holiness. What is our attitude as we sit down to talk to our brother or as group meets with group to discuss differences? A desire to come out on top? To play one-up-manship? If there is any desire for love whatsoever, every time we discuss a difference, we will desire a solution and not just
that we can be proven right.

I for one find myself wanting to win more than I find myself wanting to glorify God. I don't think we need to close down all bloggy discussions and disagreements, but we must go about them with the same passion which should be driving all of life: to make the name of Jesus Christ beautiful among the nations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that there has been no comments on this topic.

I agree with you, that many times I want to win more than I want to be right. That is why I generally stay away from posting.

It is not the discussion that bothers me per se, it is the tone that troubles me.

Bart

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.