My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

01 May 2006

Austen City Limits

Providence has conspired to bring me into closer contact with Jane Austen than has previously been the case. This is okay, as it gives me something to write here about.

First, thoughts I had which I either did or did not express out loud whilst watching the newest Pride and Prejudice (I will admit, with only a little embarassment, that I sorta teared up during Mr. Bennett's talk with his daughter Elizabeth: "I didn't think anyone could ever deserve you."):

  • Now I don't have to read the book.
  • We're never having any more daughters. Only sons. And rich sons.
  • Wow, that was good [upon Mr. Darcy's "bewitched, body and soul" speech]
  • These people need jobs. Seriously, if they had good stuff to do, they wouldn't be as worried about balls and rich aunts and matchmaking.
Second, a passage from Mansfield Park about preachers: [from Miss Crawford] Oh, no doubt he [a potential pastor] is very sincere in preferring an income ready made, to the trouble of working for one; and has the best intentions of doing nothing at all the rest of his days but eat, drink, and grow fat. It is an indolence, Mr. Bertram, indeed - indolence and love of ease - a want of all laudable ambition, of taste for good company, or of inclination to take the trouble of being agreeable, which make men clergymen. A clergymen has nothing to do but to be slovenly and selfish - read the newspaper, watch the weather, and quarrel with his wife. His curate does all the work, and the business of his own life is to dine.

Well, there it is, the business of my life is to dine. I'm going to McDonald's.

5 comments:

andyfest said...

I went to the Austin City Limits festival last summer and it was a blast! Very hot, though. Wilco puts on such a great show.

It's Monday and I don't want to work.

Ryan Cerbus said...

Can you believe the purists dislike the new P&P? One of the big complaints is that it's too "campy" in the final scene. "They would never be outside sitting on deck furniture and making-out!" Bah: it's a great film and much easier to watch than the 6-hour BBC version. (I have nothing against the BBC version; it's just long and rather poorly-produced.)

I can't remember where I heard the term the "idle rich." A sermon? A blog post? It might've been Rush Limbaugh. In fact, I think it was. Anyway, he was explaining that the likes of Paris Hilton are always getting into scandals because they are idle and have no responsibilities. They don't contribute anything to society other than the general degredation of our culture with their hedonistic lifestyle.

Anonymous said...

Well, we all know pastors only work one day a week! Go forth and dine, my son!

Catherine said...

Ah, but can you EVER really be too busy for balls and rich aunts and matchmaking?

Unknown said...

abercrombie.us.com beautyWhere are some good spaces to find an Abercrombie Jeans Cologne magazine? One places is magazines. Many wellbeing and beauty magazines propose cologne and odor artifact reviews.Abercrombie Outerwear Some of them even have sample strips that you can open and actually get to smell the fragrance that they are reviewing for the invention line. Abercrombie Hoodies Another great place to find artifact reviews are Abercrombie Pant . EZines are online magazines and often sent to people in the transmit.Abercrombie Polo You can subscribe to artifact study eZines and You will find more information about the Wholesale actual belief jeans, Abercrombie Shirt many people are weird for export the jeans in fresh living.even cologne or scent eZines. Abercrombie fitch Men Many times you can demand from the editor of the eZine to do an exclusive type Shoes are very important to everyone, Our Abercrombie Tees will guard your feet. Abercrombie fitch Women of check for you.Abercrombie bag If you want to grip this effect line, you can ask them specifically to do an Abercrombie and Fitch Cologne review for you and the other readers. Abercrombie Slippers Most editors are forever looking for theme ideas and more than agreeble to help you out. Abercrombie Cap In their food. dealer, abercrombie and fitch (A&F), named the belt in a grievance. Abercrombie Scarves Employment law attorneys representing, Riam Dean, Abercrombie Shorts , cite disability discrimination in the ensemble and are claiming Dean is probable to persist for the next three living.Abercrombie and fitch, a New Albany, Ohio A&F trader, with over 300 food nationwide,Abercrombie And Fitch Jackets, is not unfamiliar with facing discrimination lawsuits. The clothing stored restrict has faced allegations in the gone for the Abercrombie Sweater giant