My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

11 April 2006

Cruce, libro, et atro

No, I'm not learning Latin (unfortunately), but I am reading a good church history book by Mark Nolls titled Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity. This morning I finished a really good chapter on monasticism; it challenged a lot of my assumptions about monks and mendicans, etc. Here's a great quote about monkish evangelism:

The missionary effectiveness of the monks usually depended as much upon their plain virtues as upon more highly visible exertions in preaching or teaching. For a monastery to be established in a pagan area allowed the local population to see the application of Christianity to daily existence, as monks tilled the soil, welcomed visitors, and carried out the offices of study and daily prayer. So arose the saying that the monks civilized Europe cruce, libro, et atro - with cross, book, and plow.


I really like the sound and idea of that. Something to chew on for Tuesday.

No comments: