My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

13 March 2007

Humility in the Face of God

In our Sunday night teaching services, we've been sauntering our way through the Shorter Catechism; currently we're on question 4, a marvelous mini-systematic theology:
Q4: What is God?
A4: God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his
being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.

One of the things I try to do as a teacher is bring our discussions into practical applications. But sometimes I feel stuck in a rut; for example, as we've considered these aspects of God's essence (His eternity, immutability, wisdom, etc.), it seems I keep coming back to the application of humility.

As I study and write next week's lesson, I've come to see this is the way it should be. Whenever we come into contact with our Maker, whenever we study any of His majesties and attributes, shouldn't we always conclude that humility is a proper application? Shouldn't we echo Psalm 8, "Who am I, that you should make so much of me?" and Psalm 131, "O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high"?

Do we want to know God? We must be prepared to be humbled. Do we want humility? We must continually seek the face and truth of God. And as we look for elders and teachers and spouses and friends, how we will find those who know God deeply? Look for humility - it is the mark of those who have spent time close to the God who cannot help but humble us by His majesty.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jared:

I like your application.

However, when we are studying the charecter and attributes of God, do we really need to spend much time on what we often call "practical application"? Isn't just knowing more about God enough? Or as I somtimes put it...our application should be motivation for better and deeper worship.

Just a thought,
Jeff K

Anonymous said...

"...humble dependence on God is the basis of all genuine blessing..." - back cover of Humility by Andrew Murray

This is a book that changed my life.

Jared said...

Jeff - isn't "motivation for better and deeper worship" a practical application? :)

In my mind, I'm contrasting a bare lecture (being able to answer the catechism questions, state the facts about God) and pressing that into our hearts and lives. Much of my applications Sunday nights have been in the area of reverence and awe before God.

So, yes, I agree with you!

Tamara said...

The Exellencies of Christ by Allen Hood is a great resource! I will send some of the notes to you.

Anonymous said...

"Humility: stark, raving honesty." - Brendan Manning

God is always incredibly real about who He is. When we are real about who we are, we are more and more astounded by Him.